100 Plus Capital invests in companies positively impacting human longevity. This can be directly targeted (for example, anti-aging companies) or broader reaching (clean food and water companies).
To leverage the new wave of longevity enthusiasm we’re launching regular salons to grow a strong longevity community, targeted on onboarding new investors in the space. We invite you to join us in kicking off this series by joining new and old friends over aperitifs to ask what’s different now that fuels the interest and optimism in the field.
When: March 5, 2020, 6-9 pm
Where:Quadrus Conference Center, 2400 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025
Aubrey de Grey, Chief Science Officer and Co-founder, SENS Research Foundation
Dr. de Grey is the biomedical gerontologist who devised the SENS platform, and established SENS Research Foundation to implement it. He received his BA in Computer Science and Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Cambridge in 1985 and 2000, respectively. Dr. de Grey is Editor-in-Chief of Rejuvenation Research, is a Fellow of both the Gerontological Society of America and the American Aging Association, and sits on the editorial and scientific advisory boards of numerous journals and organizations.
Sonia Arrison,Investor and Founder, 100 Plus Capital
Sonia Arrison is a best-selling author, analyst, entrepreneur, and investor. She is founder of 100 Plus Capital, co-founder of Unsugarcoat Media (acquired by Medium), and associate founder and advisor to Singularity University in Mountain View, California. Her research focuses on exponentially growing technologies and their impact on society. Her most recent book, 100 Plus: How the Coming Age of Longevity Will Change Everything, From Careers and Relationships to Family and Faith, addresses the social, economic, and cultural impacts of radical human longevity. It gained national best-seller status and keeps Sonia busy speaking all over the world. Sonia is a Board Member at the Thiel Foundation, Foresight Institute, and Woodland School.
Nils Regge, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Apollo Ventures
Nils Regge is a serial entrepreneur who co-founded companies with an aggregated valuation over 1bn USD. He was involved in almost 50 financing rounds, co-investments with funds such as Harbourvest, Highland, GFC, Lakestar, Insight Venture Partners, Sofinnova, Loup Ventures and Venbio.Previously Nils was involved with tech companies, but shifted his focus towards biotech and the emerging opportunity of longevity companies. Nils is the co-founder and partner of Apollo Health Ventures (Apollo.vc). All of Apollo´s portfolio companies have raised significant follow on rounds from outside investors.
Joe Betts-Lacroix, Co-Founder Vium and Health Extension Salons
Joe Betts-Lacroix is the CTO and co-founder of Vium. Previously, Joe was the primary technical founder of hardware/software startup OQO – which entered the Guinness Book of World Records for building the smallest full-featured PC. His experience spans from biotech research to electronics design. Very experienced in invention, prosecution and monetization of intellectual property, he has over 80 Patents granted and pending in fields ranging from biophysics and safety systems to antennas, thermal systems, user interfaces and analog electronics. He has written numerous peer-reviewed publications in fields such as biophysics, genetics, electronics and robotics. Joe holds a Harvard A.B., MIT S.M. and Caltech research fellowship.
Karl Pfleger,Angel Investor, Aging Biotech.info
Karl Pfleger, PhD (Stanford CS, Machine Learning) now focuses on aging & longevity after a successful tech career (mySimon, Google). A long-time donor to the Buck Institute and SENS Foundation, he is also an angel investor who has backed over 15 aging-related startups. He is the creator of AgingBiotech.info, a free public resource to track the commercialization progress of the aging biotech sector and related information.
Would you like to share longevity-relevant news with the community?
Ticket holderscan apply hereto give a 2-minute lightning talk to announce a project or pitch an idea during our community updates.
6 pm Networking: Aperitifs and hors d’oeuvre in the heart of the beautiful Quadrus Conference Center
6.20 pm Panel: Each speaker is invited to give an opening statement on what, if anything, is different now that makes health extension technology such a promising investment opportunity?
- Karl Pfleger, Aging Biotech, will speak on the trend of aging companies founded over the last 10 years and his excellent company portfolio overview
- Nils Regge, Apollo Ventures, will speak on the role of emerging major VCs in the space and his projections of the industry 5-10 years out
- Sonia Arrison, 100 Plus Capital, will speak on her investment philosophy and what societal changes we can expect and invest for now based on her book 100 Plus
- Joe Betts-Lacroix, Vium, will speak on the market gap in the longevity industry that entrepreneurs and scientists should tackle when starting longevity companies
- Aubrey de Grey, SENS Research Foundation, will speak on what future changes in public policy must go hand-in-hand with increased control of aging
7.00 pm Q&A: The panel is followed by an interactive Q&A between panel and audience:
- Investment Tips: Exciting pathways and companies on the horizon — what new investors should know to navigate the space successfully — what warning signs can help distinguish a fountain of youth from snake oil companies
- What’s Different: What changes in the investment landscape can we expect in the next 5-10 years — what bottlenecks may halt progress — how can we collaborate to grow a strong ecosystem
- What’s Missing: Match-making of scientists + entrepreneurs + funders — mainstream rebuttals to aging trance — realistic and attractive post-aging scenarios
- What would you like to know?
7.30 pm Aperitifs with Speakers: Join our speakers for an informal meet and greet, catch up with old friends or make new ones.
8.00 pm Community Announcements: Short lightning talks from participants who apply to share a longevity project, or announcement with the group.
Would you like to share longevity-relevant news with the community? Ticket holders can apply here to give a lightning talk.
8.30 pm: Closing: Action items and sign-up to our shared spreadsheet for continued collaboration leading up to the next salons
We are so excited to get this community together!
About Foresight Institute:
Foresight is a non-profit institute focused selectively advancing technologies for the long-term benefit of life. We have a special interest in using AI, biotechnology, and nanotechnology to improve human and planetary health.