Foresight’s Senior Associates are a community working to guide nanotechnology to improve the human condition and the environment. Not content to take a passive role, they step up to actually participate in Foresight’s work to maximize and spread the benefits of nanotech while minimizing its downsides.
Senior Associates come from a wide variety of backgrounds, professions, and home countries. Most have some technical background and work in technology or science, but we also have members who are architects, artists, economists, entrepreneurs, environmentalists, ethicists, full-time parents, futurists, investors, laborers, lawyers and law professors, management consultants, marketing, military, ministers, non-profit executives, philosophers, pilots, poets, PR professionals, professors, psychologists, sales, small business owners, sociologists, students, teachers, writers, venture capitalists, and a Viscount.
Most Senior Associates are based in the U.S., but a growing number of members come from around the world including Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Ireland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Switzerland, Turkey, and the U.K.
All Senior Associates are encouraged to become actively involved in Foresight.
The Foresight Vision Weekend provides an “insider” forum where Senior Associates gather and explore current trends and future consequences of nanotechnology and other advanced technologies. Participants develop, evaluate, and discuss ideas ranging from today’s research and commercialization to 30-year prospects. Formats are experimental, as is the guest list; other visionary groups are sometimes invited to join us.
- Foresight @ Google: 25th Anniversary Conference Celebration & Reunion Weekend, hosted by Google at their main campus in Mountain View, CA, June 25-26, 2011. Archived webcast of June 25-26 conference, 25th Anniversary Reunion Conference Follow-Up
- November 15-16, 2008, in Silicon Valley, CA
- November 3-4, 2007 in Silicon Valley, CA
- October 22-23, 2005, in San Francisco, CA
- May 14-16, 2004, Palo Alto, California, Vision Weekend coverage in Update 54
- May 2-4, 2003, Palo Alto, California, Vision Weekend coverage in Update 52
- April 26-28, 2002, Palo Alto, California, Gathering photos in Update 49
- April 20-22, 2001, Palo Alto, CA.
- Fall 2000
- Spring 2000, comments by participants, Gathering photos
- Fall 1999
- Spring 1999, comments by participants, a report in Update 37.
- 1998, announcement in Update 32, a report in Update 34.
- 1997, a report in Update 29.
- 1996. Announced in Update 26; a report in Update 27.
- 1995, announcement in Update 22
- 1994, announcement in Update 19, report in Update 20
- 1993, perspectives on the Senior Associate program written about the time of the 1993 Gathering by Jim Bennett and by Chris Peterson
- 1992, the non-technical Foresight General Conference on Nanotechnology, “Development, Applications and Opportunities,” announcement in Update 14, report in Update 15