Kathy White of ExtremeNano covers the Roadmap presentation last Thursday at the Foresight Conference, quoting Alex Kawczak of Battelle: ” ‘Our roadmap is going to encourage collaboration across many, many industries,’ Kawczak said. ‘We are shaping the future by providing the framework for collaboration that has the great potential to impact all industries in the next 10 to 30 years…We looked at a lot of different roadmaps. We want to move from fundamentals to function.’ ” Initial goals of the Roadmap:
* That it be an actionable document utilized to lead development.
* Define all the flavors of productive nanotechnology.
* Articulate why productive nanotechnology is important.
* Assess the current state of productive nanotechnology development.
* Identify technologies that will lead to productive nanotechnology.
* Look at industry pathways to productive nanotechnology.
* Create the next steps in collaborative R&D.
* Identify what critical issues productive nanotechnology will encounter.
A conference attendee comments: “It’s a big undertaking, and there are going to be a lot of people and companies involved who all have different agendas, I think. But I think it’s a fantastic idea, and it’s time.”